St Bartholomew's Church
Llanover, Abergavenny, NP7 8BU
During Churches Unlocked...
Saturday 3rd and 10th: 10am - 4pm
Sunday 4th and 11th: 12noon - 4pm
During these opening hours:
There will be bell ringing at 12 noon on 3rd June.
The church was sensitively restored in the 19th century. Nave, chancel and tower are medieval.
The porch is an addition of 1750 (dated).
The church had a minor Victorian restoration of unknown date and little has been changed since.
The village school was held in the tower until 1835.
Furnishings are late Victorian apart from the Norman type bowl font.
Two painted timber hatchments and a very unusual Royal Arms datable between 1816 and 1837 sit over the chancel arch.
The churchyard contains the massive elaborately decorated stone sarcophagus of the Llanover family.
More to come...
Wheelchair access to the nave. No/difficult wheelchair access to the chancel.
There is ample car parknig in front of the church by the lych gate and overflow parking 100 yards further down the lane by the church hall.
No public transport.